Sunday, March 16, 2008

Out Conducting Fun ... Part 2

After the helicopter ride (covered in the entry below this one), it was go-time. As a first-time jumper, you are strapped to a very experienced instructor. I was looking forward to this as there were very interesting people who were instructors. People name Nigel, people who look like they should be in a Jimmy Buffett video, and even a few Aussies. Well, no such luck. I got "Bill". Bill has to be pushing 75 and he reminded me of Leslie Nielsen. But there is an upside to Bill. Bill has been jumping for over 40 years, and that's 11,000 trips out of an airplane door.

They signed us up on this board. BTW, Tony is the guy who took the rest of the pics on this page. He's a photographer/videographer. His job is to jump out of planes with a camera on his helmet and take pictures. Another day at the office for Tony.
Then we suited up, got a very brief introduction to how things work, then we were off to the plane.Once inside, I thought it was pretty cool. I love planes so this little one was a blast! We went up, up, up. 13,200 feet. They opened the door and I got a little freaked out. It was really cold and very noisy, and I had that, "What have I done here?" feeling.
Too late, me & Leslie Nielsen were at the doorway and before I knew what happened, we were ass over tea kettle and flying through the air. A friend said that this wouldn't feel like falling, but instead flying. He was right. I wanted to yell and smile, but the wind blows your mouth open really wide so I just grinned.

Everything was going great! Then all of a sudden Bill pulled the ripcord and it felt like I was being turned inside out from the feet up. This lasted a few seconds until the chute fully opened.
Then it was just a glide back on down to the ground. Piece of cake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I'm mad at your or impressed with you. Dear Lord.

Anonymous said...

you've got ballz. just sayin.