Friday, April 4, 2008

Absolute Yankees


So they’re closing Yankees Stadium after this year and opening up a new facility. Now, I’ve never been to Yankees Stadium, so naturally I have to go. Before all you Sox-haters start with your trash talking, let me explain. This is about history. Mantle, DiMaggio, Ruth … they all played there. It’s a backdrop to some of the greatest moments in baseball over the last 100 years. It’s something that even as a bean-loving Sox fan, is important and necessary to experience.

I’m going. This weekend. The Yanks are playing the Rays, so it’s not a historic or even compelling matchup, unless you factor in the Spring Training brawl a few weeks back. But that’s not what this is about. It’s about getting to ride the subway there. It’s about how the stadium smells. It’s about walking through Monument Park. It’s about getting a slice and a coke at the game. It’s about hearing Sinatra singing New York – New York after the game. Just taking it all in and knowing forever that I was there.

Oh and by the way, I think I’ll lean over and get myself some dirt from Yankees Stadium, because I’ve got seats in the first row right by the Yank’s Dugout. Also known as the Absolute Front Row. Field Championship Box Seats, Row A. Yep, right where Jeter himself warms up. How’d I get these seats, you ask? I just used my Red Sox charm and a few bucks. ;-)

I’m really excited about this and other things I have on tap for the year. I’ll post tons of pics when I get back. I’ve already got a list of requested shots, but I’m glad to try to get anything you want to see so just send a note or leave a comment.

Absolute Yankees
Absolute Front Row
Absolute Bucket List Item

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want a picture of you bowing to Jeter and A-rod. Saying "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!!!!!!"

Anonymous said...

This is a sad day in Boston. :-(

Anonymous said...

BOSTON (AP) - A student touring Fenway Park was attacked by a resident red-tailed hawk that drew blood from a girl's scalp Thursday.

The girl was taken by ambulance to a hospital, but wasn't seriously injured.

The hawk was perched on a railing in the upper deck behind home plate while the group from Memorial Boulevard Middle School in Bristol, Conn., toured the stadium. The hawk flew at the girl and swooped with its talons extended, scratching her scalp.

A single egg lay in the hawk's nearby nest in an overhang near the stadium's press booth.

The nest and egg were removed at the direction of state wildlife officials.

The Red Sox do not have their home opener until Tuesday.